Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Too much work not enough time...

Well I've managed to steal a moment away to update again. Well as you may have seen in the new yesterday, my company is in talks to buy Bellsouth and so what does that mean? Well apparently even more work. Sheesh. So I've made another decision concerning work and frankly it's my time to shine, get some more credibility and then leave. I've decided to bust my ass, be the best worker and mentor I can be and leave my job on a high note. My shift had a meeting last night and we were told that our shift (the most productive, innovative and fine tuned btw) would need to start changing up our hours to offset some of the problems the other shifts were having. Essentially what I've found is that our shift succeeds for a number of reasons, we have great communication, we're not afraid to try new techniques, work smarter instead of harder and overall have a good time. The other shifts seem to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again and keep failing. I've been studing the problem shift (days) in particular and found over 6 different ways to improve their fluidity, workflow and communication which I feel would definitely improve their attitude and team morale. I made those points at the meeting and even went so far as to volunteer my time in the short term to show those teams OUR way of doing things and let them see it in action instead of through an email, powerpoint or just weekly numbers. So in short depending on how things come about at our meeting at the end of the week after I've now stuck my neck out, I may be working 14-16 hour days Mon-Fri trying to help my overall center improve parts of their workloads while my other peers on my team do the same in their areas. Why am I doing this? Hey nothing looks better to a manager, a reference or on a resume than someone who goes above and beyond what they are doing to help a larger group of people. Also...it's a bit therapeutic because for once they are stepping back and letting the people on the floor try and fix the problems instead of letting managment try quick solutions that never worked in the past to begin with. If anything I get a chance to put my ideas forth and see if they work on a larger level. If they don't at least I got the shot and if they do then that makes my job overall a LOT easier because everyone is working smarter instead of harder and we've got more time for innovation and making things better instead of using elbow grease and sweat and still being counterproductive.

3 Comments:

Blogger carolakabb said...

well good to know you are still alive... but 14-16 hour days? Holy Donkey Balls! Who is going to feed the cat?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Alex Trenoweth said...

Donkey Balls. . .

14-16 hour days!?!

Get off my tits.

Hopefully, it won't be for too long and you'll be back to blogging and unfurling the tracker flag again soon. Thanks for letting us know you're all right!

Love,

Pers

12:00 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Bahahaha alll of you!!! Glad to know that it's work that is keeping you from us! I was gettin worried that you'd been seduced away by the tassle twirler! :0

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home