Sunday, March 25, 2007

Back to the Couch to 5k

So I'm back on the couch to 5k plan with lessons learned about the past few times I've attempted it:

1. Start off on the treadmill if you're a first timer or REALLY out of shape!!

Why? Because there are too many road hazards, concrete is hard on my joints, and the spring and summer months are hot.

2. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate!!

Why? Because my body needs to replenish what is loses. I purchased one of those camel back bags that you can wear around your waist with a tube that clips to your shirt. You may think it's dorky, but when you're dragging and dying looking cool I'll be dorky looking but hydrated and still going :) Still though, most treadmills have a slot for water bottles so I bring one, preferrably two bottles and hydrate. I've learned this lesson well and it's helped me get more of of the program so far in the first two weeks.

3. PACING YOURSELF!!

I have the trouble the when I start running I'll begin slow and before I know it I'm running WAY to fast. Not good because it's not a sprint right now!! The treadmill is helping me even my pace. Even just a nice brisk slow jog does the trick of getting you body to move beyond just normal walking. Overall paying attention to the pace has helped me immensely in keeping my strenght and stamina up of the 30 minutes or so that I'm on the treadmill and the 20 minutes of actual training during that time.

Today I finished my program with a 20 minute run walk pace of about 17:57 seconds per mile. It's not blazing but you know what? I did it!! 8 minutes of running and 12 minutes of walking. To be honest any pace under 1 hour for a 5k at this moment I'm happy with. What this also tell me, that if I can just keep up this pace of 8/12 running walking over 5 kilometers then hey...didn't I just do a 5k? Mental attitude is everything. Once you get over the little goals then you shoot for the bigs one. My goal right now is to be running for 25 minutes straight around May 7th. Not running crazy...but just being able to run for that long without stopping to take a breath or walk!!

Allrighty folks I'm off to meet a friend for lunch and then maybe have a few games of pool and bowling.

And remember...cheer for those North Carolina Tarheels :)



Why? Because when I run and you might

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

cheer for WHO? ~lol~ don't worry unless its my own hockey teams,, I'd say I'm pretty universallly lost as far as any sports teams go! So it's Nothing personal!
Glad to see ya back on something that you'll have Fun doing! tee hee!

9:09 PM  
Blogger carolakabb said...

uh... Jeremy... I am still waiting for your answer from our IM conversation.... :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sounds great! I think it's really important to hydrate well in advance of when you run, not just during the run. Have you downloaded the podcast? That might also help keep you on track. I think chantal2befit used that to train.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home