Friday, June 22, 2007

What's the cure for soreness and exhaustion after a swim?

SWIM AGAIN!!

Yup I decided to have another swim today to stretch everything out and I feel much better. Also made considerable use of the whirlpool after I was done!! I'm really starting to believe this time in the pool is becoming my new moment of Zen. Then again all my favorite shows are in reruns so lets see how this goes through the summer and into the fall! My history shows I'm not good at sticking with working out by myself on weights, running and general cardio fitness. However, I swim for over 12 years so I'm hoping that as my feel for my strokes and movement through the water have never left me that there is a part of me that will keep this going so we'll see.

Todays workout focused on doing longer distances while maintaining the smoothness of my stroke:

***************************************************************************************

Warm Up:

4x100 Freestyle Focusing on Stroke

Kick/Pull Set:

4x100 Kick

4x25 Free Pull :20
4x50 Free Pull :20
4x75 Free Pull :20
4x100 Free Pull :20

Rest 2 minutes

4x100 Free Pull :20
4x75 Free Pull :20
4x50 Free Pull :20
4x25 Free Pull :20

Main Set:

100 Freestyle at 60% Effort without reducing stroke efficiency

Cool Down:

8x25 Free on :20 Easy Strokes

Total Yardage: 1600 Yards

*************************************************************************************

And yes I just realized that I was 50 yards away from completing a mile (1650 yards) of swimming.

The Whirlpool has been a nice change. The pools at my high school and college never had one so I've never really used one for after workout relaxation. I'm hooked now!!

8 Comments:

Blogger FV Tom said...

Glad you are enjoying your workouts. Can you let me know your secret? Well, besides doing it in a pool. The pool at my gym has waaay too much chlorine for this cowboy to get into it.

And your Rangers seem to be melting even earlier than normal.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job on the swimming :) Keep it up.....have super weekend :O

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say, I'm envious. I love to swim but I'm not very good at it. Let me rephrase, I'm not very efficient and can't do the whole turn your head to breathe for anything.

Hope this week is just as good for you...or even better!

6:22 AM  
Blogger carolakabb said...

YOUDAMAN!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Ummm hello...HOTTUB! ..ok that's just my thought lol!

9:30 AM  
Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I'm glad the swimmning is working well for you. It's most likely that you'll stick to something if you like what you're doing. I wish I know how to swim.

5:32 PM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

I didn't know you and I had the same birthday ... or did I just forget it?

1:17 PM  
Blogger zooman said...

Hey, dropping in to see what the swimming workouts look like. Looks tough to me.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home