Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Holy Cow

I've been watching the U.S. Olympic Trials for Swimming and things are nuts over there! 6 World Records in 3 days! What's even crazier is that one of the women who broke the world record didn't make the team! That's how fast this team is going to be in Beijing!

Also a very interesting site for the Trials. It's in Omaha, NE which most people don't think of in terms of swimming hotbeds. Even more interesting is that it's a temporary pool set up in the middle of the Qwest Center. So what they've done is built a 50 Meter temporary pool as well as a warm up/warm down pool in the middle of an arena. And it's fast! I was told by one of my swimming partners last summer that the 1984 Olympics used a temporary pool as well so I suppose it's not recent technology, but to but it in the middle of a sporting arena sure seems strange. As a former swimmer I can't imagine what it must be like to swim backstroke and looking at that ceiling!

2 Comments:

Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

I am loving the Trials!!! I saw the story they did on the news about the temp pool. It was awesome to see.

9:13 AM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

How strange. I would think that they would only use old, reliable, tested, built in pools.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home