Thursday, June 29, 2006

So the movie was great, for those of you not familiar with it, this is essentially a sequel, not a remake, of Superman 1 and 2 with Christopher Reeve. Essentially the movie bases it's premise on the fact that the audience has watched the first two movies, is familiar with general Superman mythology and from that point the film starts. We find Superman coming back to earth after spending 5 years in space trying to find out if he is the only person from his home planet left alive. When he comes back the world is different and everyone, especially Lois Lane, has moved on with their lives. So essentially you have the most powerful man in the world...with girl troubles...oh and Lex Luthor (played wonderfully by Kevin Spacey) is out of jail and up to no good again. Essentially Superman comes home and...well the old saying "You can't go home again" rings very true.

Overall I think the film was excellent. Not as great as the first Superman, a little better than the second Superman and obviously MUCH better than Superman 3 and 4, which from reports were discarded as essentially never having been made. Brandon Routh who plays the man of Steel has the uncanny ability to look like Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent and sounds like his Superman, however, he looks more like a younger Clive Owen/Dylan McDermott when he's actually playing the man of steel. I think he pulled it off extremely well. I think if anyone could succeed Mr. Reeve as the Man of Steel this was the person to do it. Additionally everyone held their own against the actors that played them in the past. If anything I think Kevin Spacey and Kate Bosworth may have improved on the characters of Lex Luthor and and Lois Lane originally played by Gene Hackman and Margot Kidder in the first two movies.

The movie tends to spend a lot of time focusing on the human side of Superman. Coming home, feeling outcast again and having to rebuild relationship not only with Lois Lane but with humanity and also with a pretty ballsy plot twist that I think was probably obvious from the beginning of the movie but was confirmed at the end. As I mentioned in my last post, Superman is a godlike figure striving to be human, and in this movie, I think they did as much to present as human and expose him as a somewhat flawed character as are most humans. I think they did a great job with this. Hopefully they will keep Bryan Singer on board for at least the next sequel so the momentum will stay alive. The last thing this Superman needs is another "Quest for Peace" fiasco.

Well in addition to the movie I ran into at least 3 possibly 4 (although I'm not sure it was her because she looked a lot different than I remember) girls I've dated over the past years either at the mall or at the movie. Very strange considering my last post. I don't know if it means something to me or it just means that I used to date chicks that had something for Superman. However, they were there with dates/boyfriends so that was a little crummy. But hey screw them right?

Kim - Thanks for the post and welcome to my blog...I was more HOT in the t-shirt than looking hot. It's been insanely humid here in NC but thanks for the compliment. And yes...I am a huge Rush fan too :) I'm a former drummer so it's actually a law.

Coco - Thanks for the the post and welcome to my blog as well. Did I read that you were from Texas? If so what Part? I spent the first 22 years of my life growing up near Dallas!!

6 Comments:

Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

Jeremy, you always give the best reviews. My husband has seen the movie twice and all I can get out of him was that it was good.

Have a great weekend!

3:01 PM  
Blogger carolakabb said...

hey - stopping by to check in - glad the movie lived up to your expectations! Glad drama girl is gone. :) Hugs. c.

7:16 PM  
Blogger kpottlitzer said...

i live in houston. i've been here pretty much since 89. before that i lived in dallas for a couple of years. we moved alot with my dad's job.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

sounds like a great movie ... one day I'll go OUT to one ~lol

Happy 4th!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I haven't had time to watch many movies lately, but that is one I want to see.

Good luck with the dating scene. At least you're not having problems getting dates.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Wolfie said...

Alright, I'm ready for another post. I just didn't have anything to say about Superman!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home