Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Superman!!

Okay I'm totally revealing my geekiness here but if Lori can have an Aerosmith Tattoo than I can wear my Superman T-Shirt to see it at the movies tonight :)

Admittedly her tattoo looks much better on her than my T-shirt does on me...

...but I digress...Superman to me is a very interesting cult character because frankly I've always loved him. Some people love Jesus, some people love the Beatles, some people love John Wayne or Elvis or whoever. For me...as a kid...it was always big blue...always Superman. No matter the incarnation...TV, Movies, comics, bedspreads or underoos...I always looked toward him. Sure he's a bit hokey, truth, justice and the american way along with a really bad disguise (glasses and slicked back hair) but his overall appeal aside from some of the lameness was just someone we could all look up to be a strong and good. I'm going to paraphrase a bit from an interesting article a few years written on the subject, but you see Superman is the antithesis of most heros. Most heros are normal humans that gain their powers and they become a superhero. Superman was always a superhero but strives to become human. For a man of incredible talents he is never able to use any of them while trying to be a human which maybe be a superpower in itself. Sure most of his life and backstory are fairly unrealistic but that never mattered to me. I look for the myth, the fantasy, the escape when I go to the movies, read a book or watch TV. I live enough real life as it is...so Superman reminds me at times that its okay to dream...that's it's okay to try to superhuman.

So tonight I'm going to the movies. It's a weird feeling because the original Superman was a special movie to me. It was the first movie that I was allowed to go to but my brother wasn't, secondly it was the first movie that literally held my attention for that entire movie. That's right. The entire movie. I think I was maybe 5 of 6 at the time and here I was seeing my hero on screen and I was completely and totally in open mouthed astonishment. Star Wars may have had my action figure money, but Superman still had my heart. I can still remember to this day sitting in the theater, parents bringing their kids to the theater and all of us looking around ready and waiting for it to start. It can safely say I was not dissapointed one bit. Chrisptopher Reeve, Margo Kidder, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty...even Marlon Freakin Brando were in this movie!! I loved it as much today as I did back then and it's with that anticipation that I go to the sneak preview tonight with my silly shirt on because yep...you guessed it...I'm 5 years old again and I'm hoping that I'm thrilled again.

3 Comments:

Blogger FV Tom said...

So did you like the movie?

And I totally understand wearing your Tshirt to the movie. (Coco and her BF did the same thing!)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

hope the Movie goes well.. Oh Hon...ENJOY!!! .shhhhhhhh but don't tell ...ummmmm I already have plans to go to the Pirates of the Caribean in FULLLLLL costume!! ;)

7:07 PM  
Blogger kpottlitzer said...

i think my bf feels similarly about superman. but he also loves the beatles and star wars. i hope that you weren't disappointed by the movie. i thought it was great. the only thing i was a little disappointed in was lois. i would have liked her to have more grit. i was reading your previous post about dating. i think honesty is the best policy. it might hurt, but it's better than a lie and then finding out the real truth.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home