Monday, June 19, 2006

Well this sucks...

Well this past week my gums have been swollen...not a normal problem for me as I've had a problem with sensitive gums/swelling etc since I was a kid. I usually just flossed a little harder, used and softer toothbrush and more listerine and things were fine after 2 days or so. Well the problem got worse...to the point that I was bleeding all the time and feeling the pain all over my neck, mouth and below my eyes. Well I went to the the dentist (haven't been in a LONG time) and was told that I have advanced onset of periodontal disease in many places under the gums. For those of you that don't know what it is...it's basically plaque and tatar bacteria that have built up over time UNDER the gums and have been creating pockets under your teeth in the bone. This causes "pockets" between the lower tooth/bone and the gums causing them to detach and become sore and cause bleeding. The next option is to have the pockets depths probed and then a DEEP cleaning which requires the dentist to actually cut the gums as to expose the lower part of the tooth usually hidden by the gums to blast the tatar and plaque bacteria out and hopefully clean up the affected area. However, if the pockets are too deep then I could wind up having to extract the tooth and replacing it with an implant. Needless to say I'm not terribly happy with this prospect...however, it must be done because I'm in a tremendous about of pain. The only other draw back in addition to the stiches, possibly implants and constant recovery is the fact that this could take 6 months to complete as this is done in 4 sections of the mouth and each section must be cleaned, stitched and healed before moving onto the the next section.

Now I clean, brush, floss and use mouthwash consistently but apparently this is the reason they want you in every 6 months is to clean the stuff BENEATH the gums. You see my past experience with dentists ranged from the sadistic to the incompetent to the completely sarcastic. By the time of my last appointment I was convinced that it was a racket and then I was better off just doing more intense cleaning myself (twice the flossing, twice the brushing, etc) and didn't need these so-called doctors who seemed to do more to harm me than to help me. Well the dentist I spoke with this week changed my opinion of the industry dramatically but I guess a little too late to avoid what is going to be necessary to move forward. However, I do feel positive in that I'm doing that right thing and my father, who has been through the same thing before, assured me that it's better to do it now because it does pay off and make things MUCH better in the end. So I have that.

In other news I think I'm going to stay in a holding pattern with the girl for now. She seems to be back and forth with the drama and since we haven't really gotten to know each other well enough for me to make a firm decision I think I'm still going to date around for a while and meet other people while still getting to know her better. I appreciate all of your help and advice in this matter and it truly opened my eyes up to something I hadn't considered. Thanks everyone :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

UM - that sounds brutal!

Let me know how the implants go - I have to get a couple...

Yikes!!

4:10 AM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

I haven't been to the dentist in about 4 years. And the lovely Linda is always after me. No reasons, just lazy.

Well, I have an appointment for tomorrow.

Hope your situation improves without all the drastic work.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Good luck with the gums. My grandpa had all his receed. You can see all of the roots. It looks like his teeth should all break off.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home