Sunday, November 20, 2005

Tommorow will be interesting...

Well tommorow I work for the brand spanking new AT&T, Inc. Well I mean I'm not leaving one company for another...I currently work for the company formerly known as just plain AT&T. On Friday the State of California gave it's approval thus clearning the last hurdle for the merger of AT&T with it's long lost child SBC communications. As many of you may or may not know AT&T was at one time a regulated monopoly up until 1984 in which it was broken up into the Regional Bell Operating Companies for local services and AT&T retained the right to the Long Distance Services. However, by 2001 AT&T and the other RBOC's (Bell South, Verizon, SBC, etc) had all found ways to cross over into each other's territories and wound up competitors that began eating up the competition and pretty soon each other. SBC acquired AT&T and tommorow will be a brand new AT&T. Verizon will more than likely finish it's acquisition of MCI sometime in the new year and very soon I think you'll see Qwest and Bell South making a bid for Nextel/Sprint just to stay alive in the new era of the new Uber-Telecom. I don't really know what the future is going to hold for me...I work in the Business Services Area, focusing on Data Networks which is something that SBC doesn't have a large footprint in and what was a large part of AT&T's business near the end. In this new environment there are talks of wireless data networks for large residential areas, rolling out television broadcasts and even more products. It's definitely dog eat dog out there and it will be a rather interesting place in the future. I wonder where the steps my new company takes tommorow will lead me.

1 Comments:

Blogger PartTimeMom said...

Hmmm.. sounds interesting to say the least :)Hang on and enjoy the ride!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home